MySQL is considered to be most popular open source database,
For more information regarding versions and features, please refer http://dev.mysql.com/
- Download and Install.
- Initial Setup
- Creating database tables
- Adding/updating/deleting data to tables
To download MySQL database for windows,
- Navigate to this link http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/
- click on MySQL Community Server (GPL)
- click on MSI Downloader link (chose 32/64 bit depending on your configuration).
- Install MySQL Server only from the available options
NOTE: Better to download the MSI installer, 32 bit exe file will have binaries for both 32/64 bit OS.
To create and play with database and tables, we can use the MySQL command prompt.
To access the database tables and to write queries (basically an IDE to access MySQL DB), please download MySQL Workbench zip file.
While installing MySQL Server, as prompted, enter root password, and then enter an unique name for the “Windows Service Name” and Done.
Then Open the All Programs -> MySQL -> MySQL command line client, enter root password as prompted. (Server installed)
Now Extract the MySQL Workbench zip file, and click on the MySQLWorkbench.exe file to open the IDE.